Sunday, April 26, 2009

Never to old to start running

Growing up I did not take to running as an enjoyable experience. I ran the mile for time in PE, I ran the mile for time during volleyball tryouts, I ran 6 miles for time for lacrosse tryouts, and once I completed those three tasks, I walked away from running feeling quite accomplished and satisfied. Any other form of exercise was my preference.

And here comes the big fat BUT. Seven years after finishing my high school athletic career, I have a new found desire to briskly jog my neighborhood in shorts and tennis shoes. WHAT? What kind of out-of-body experience is this? You can't have a mid-life-crisis at 25. Let's just confirm that God can move mountains and then say, "Hey Katie, why don't you run over it a few times."

I've started jogging 3x a week. It's great. I researched running programs and found one that suited my interest of casual, aerobic running. Over nine weeks, I will slowly progress from jogging and walking to completely jogging 3 miles. Having an incremental program to follow helps tremendously! It gives me small goals to check off. So far so good.

I have to be careful because I have a bad knee due to volleyball --- my IT band is a mess and makes running/activity sometimes impossible due to pain. This running program caters to rehabilitating the knee.

Bottom line, I'm not ready to give up my ability to run or my cardio health at age 25. I want to know that my body can still take a healthy jog over the next ten years. The bonus is that I can take one of the dogs with me each time I go! They see me grab my running shorts and they get all excited! The only hard part is the blow to my ego as I run hard and the dogs just walk along in front of me like it's a breeze! They do make it more fun though!

If you're intrigued to check out the running program for yourself, let me know and I'll send it to you.

No comments: