Saturday, March 14, 2009

"So in a way, we all is homeless--- just workin our way toward home."

I just finished Same Kind of Different As Me, by Ron Hall & Denver Moore. Many of my friends had recommended this novel, and I will continue their sentiments and tell you that you should read it too!  A non-fiction that truly exposes the heart of a Godly woman and her impact on a
modern-day slave, it's a powerful story.  Let me remind all of you that I am not a fervent reader of any sorts.  I empathize with my students as they struggle through their school texts and novels.  Reading has never been a natural activity for me.  As I began to set some goals for the year, one that really demanded my attention was reading more.  I seem to set myself up to fail in this area, by making lists, choosing poorly and making reading a "to-do."  This time I avoided the proven pitfalls and just started with a book that peeked my curiosity. It worked. I enjoyed reading!

As of the last page of Same Kind of Different..., I have read 4 books, and next on my list is The Poisonwood Bible.  I'm not strictly reading non-fiction, Christian or otherwise, but choosing texts that I'm interested to read.  Forget formality, just read; I keep telling myself.  My hope is to one day call myself a reader; to model that for my family; to enjoy the quiet of reading; to broaden my thoughts through other people's words.  That interests me.

5 stars to Same Kind of Different As Me
Thanks for sharing Laura Anne.

No comments: